What do I need to take up hillclimbing and sprinting?

MG Midget 1500 waiting to start a sprint at Goodwood MGCC speed championship

MG Midget 1500 waiting to start a sprint at Goodwood MGCC speed championship

I hillclimb and sprint my MG Midget with the MG car club. Their Speed championship has categories for all MGs ever built. And for each model of MG there are several levels of modification from standard (which isn’t standard) to race.

If all you want to do is have a bit of fun hillclimbing and sprinting all you need is a car in reasonably good condition, a motorsport licence from the MSA (Motor Sports Association) If you want to be competitive that’s a whole different matter.

You’ll also need a helmet, fireproof suit and gloves. You can spend as little or as much as you like on these. You’ll need to join a club and register for a championship and you’re off!

If you don’t own a Midget, there is no reason why you can’t compete in a very unsporting car but obviously the MGCC only let you in compete in their championship – you’ll need to join a different club. Either another one make club (Morgan, Porsche, Triumph and TVR all have championships available) or a more general club.

This is my check list for packing up the night before an event

Sprinting Check list
• race suit and footwear (not race footwear for 2010)
• helmet
• gloves
• timing strut (and means to attach)
• competition numbers
• tickets etc
• groundsheet
• MSA license
• Club membership card
• normal driving license (both parts)
• Tools
• Jack
• Oil for topping up
• Spare fuel in metal petrol can
• Pre-mixed coolant
• Windscreen cleaner / cloths
• Duct tape
• Warm / waterproof clothes
• Insurance certificate
• MOT certificate (if applicable)
• Hotel details
• Route
• Wallet
• Phone
• Sunglasses
• Target times
• Circuit guide
• Camera and tripod
• Note book
• sat nav

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *